Londonderry's Leach Library envisions a summer full of stories
"Our goal is to encourage a summer full of reading," librarian Emily Hersey said.
This summer's children's program theme is "Dig Into Reading," with participants working together to read enough books to dig a virtual tunnel that's the length of Mammoth Road in Londonderry - all 19.6 miles.
Each book read will equal one yard of "tunnel" dug, with children up to the sixth grade encouraged to join in the fun.
Special events include "A Visit with Froggy" on June 25, 26 and 27, as well as weekly trivia contests, crafts and Saturday scavenger hunts.
This summer's young adult program theme is "Beneath the Surface," with weekly book club meetings held Thursday nights starting June 20. Program selections include a discussion of Suzanne Collins' "Gregor the Overlander" and a screening of the film "Journey to the Center of the Earth."
Participants will receive raffle tickets for each book or group of magazines read, with passes to Canobie Lake Park, Water Country, the Londonderry Country Club, and local retail stores and movie theatres among the prizes.
Londonderry Middle School students can also earn extra credit for the coming school year's English classes by keeping a reading log of books read over the summer.
This summer's adult program theme is "Groundbreaking Reads," with all adult cardholders eligible to participate in "Book Bingo," where they can compete to win a variety of prizes.
All summer activities are free, though some of the special events require advance registration.
For more information or a complete list of summer programs, visit the library page on the town's website, www.londonderrynh.org or call 432-1132.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Six NH Air National Guardsmen off to Kuwait for 6 months - 1
- For one NH soldier returning from Afghanistan, a special greeting - 2
- More than 100 NH Guardsmen returning from Afghanistan - 0
- New Hampshire armories are running out of room - 0
- Pease Greeters continue to gather for troops in transit - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus