Londonderry's Leach Library envisions a summer full of stories
"Our goal is to encourage a summer full of reading," librarian Emily Hersey said.
This summer's children's program theme is "Dig Into Reading," with participants working together to read enough books to dig a virtual tunnel that's the length of Mammoth Road in Londonderry - all 19.6 miles.
Each book read will equal one yard of "tunnel" dug, with children up to the sixth grade encouraged to join in the fun.
Special events include "A Visit with Froggy" on June 25, 26 and 27, as well as weekly trivia contests, crafts and Saturday scavenger hunts.
This summer's young adult program theme is "Beneath the Surface," with weekly book club meetings held Thursday nights starting June 20. Program selections include a discussion of Suzanne Collins' "Gregor the Overlander" and a screening of the film "Journey to the Center of the Earth."
Participants will receive raffle tickets for each book or group of magazines read, with passes to Canobie Lake Park, Water Country, the Londonderry Country Club, and local retail stores and movie theatres among the prizes.
Londonderry Middle School students can also earn extra credit for the coming school year's English classes by keeping a reading log of books read over the summer.
This summer's adult program theme is "Groundbreaking Reads," with all adult cardholders eligible to participate in "Book Bingo," where they can compete to win a variety of prizes.
All summer activities are free, though some of the special events require advance registration.
For more information or a complete list of summer programs, visit the library page on the town's website, www.londonderrynh.org or call 432-1132.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Hour of Code' taps student creativity - 1
- Fired Epping children's librarian gets public hearing - 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 10
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child