Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Diamond shines as Twins drop Red Sox
Joe Mauer doubled in a run and Justin Morneau and Trevor Plouffe each added an RBI single during a four-run rally in the eighth that put the game away. Diamond (3-2) struck out two and did not walk a batter in his longest outing of the season.
Ryan Dempster (2-3) started for the Red Sox and allowed two earned runs while striking out eight in seven-plus innings. Jarrod Saltalamacchia homered in the ninth and David Ortiz had one of Boston's four hits to extend his hitting streak to 27 games dating back to last season.
The Twins snapped a scoreless draw in the fifth when Wilkin Ramirez slapped a sharp RBI single through a drawn-in infield. Doumit sent an opposite-field blast over the Green Monster in the seventh that was upheld upon review for his first homer to make it a 2-0 gap.
Minnesota opened things up in the eighth with some help from the Red Sox defense. Third baseman Pedro Ciriaco, who had taken over for an injured Will Middlebrooks earlier in the game, made back-to-back errors to help the Twins get started, and left-hander Craig Breslow failed to retire any of the four batters he faced after coming in for Dempster.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston C David Ross and Middlebrooks were injured on the same play in foul territory in the fifth, when both charged toward the wall and went into a slide. Middlebrooks made the catch but got spun around as Ross hit him in the ribs. Ross left with a leg injury and Middlebrooks was pulled with right side pain in the seventh. … The Red Sox placed RHP Joel Hanrahan (forearm) on the 15-day DL and RHP Allen Webster, who will start on Wednesday, was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket. … Mauer has recorded four doubles in the last three games.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 47
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 4
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 15
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child