Home » Opinion » Editorials
Ayers and Boston: Yes, there is equivalence
Ayers was a founder of the terrorist organization the Weather Underground. In the 1970s, he and his cohorts bombed dozens of American targets, including the State Department, the U.S. Capitol, and the New York City Police headquarters. Ayers says they engaged only in "property damage." But that was because their initial plan to commit mass murder - by bombing a U.S. Army dance hall - failed when three of the bomb-makers accidentally blew themselves up.
On Saturday, Ayers gave a speech at Kent State University to commemorate the shooting of four students there by National Guard troops in 1970. (A one-time terrorist speaking on a college campus? No biggie. Ayers spent his post-terror career as a professor of education.) He said the Boston bombers had no noble motives, but he did because he wanted to end the Vietnam War, which was killing 6,000 people a week.
"To conflate a group of fundamentalist people [in Boston] who are nihilistic in some way with a group of people who spent their lives trying to oppose the murder of 6,000 people a week. And still the killing went on. And still the killing went on. What would you have done? There's no equivalence [with Boston]. Property damage. That's what we did."
Actually, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the captured Boston bomber, said he and his brother were motivated by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. They were not nihilists; they were Islamist protesters, to use the language of the '60s. Both the Tsarnaevs and the Weather Underground engaged in terrorism to protest U.S. wars, or so they claimed.
The difference is not the death toll, which was a matter of sheer luck in both cases. It is that the left openly embraced, forgave and rehabilitated Ayers and his fellow terrorists. Ayers hosted a fund-raiser for state Senate candidate Barack Obama in 1995, which Obama attended before serving on boards with professor Ayers and accepting campaign donations from him. What a difference it makes when your guiding philosophy is communism rather than Islamism.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Be like Wenceslaus The king who gave of himself - 3
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
- Slandering police: Racism in reverse - 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released