Home » News » Public Safety
Police probe fire at Rochester community center
"The fire was a set fire," Bellio said. He said someone set fire to a wall-mounted soap dispenser in a second-floor bathroom, causing alarms to sound around 11:30 a.m.
The former high school, located at 150 Wakefield St. on Route 125, houses the city's recreation department and economic development personnel as well as the school superintendent's office, a local food pantry, a driving school and other agencies.
Bellio said he's been unable to determine whether the soap was alcohol-based, which could contribute to the fire.
The wall was concrete block, and Bellio said the dispenser burned and melted on the floor.
Bellio said the smoke damage was contained to the bathroom for the most part, even though thick, black smoke filled the length of the second-floor hallway, which runs through the center of the building.
As the building was quickly evacuated, Bellio said no one was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 0
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Giampetruzzi leads Trinity into D-I semis - 0
Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Turkey vultures not commonly seen in NH until fairly recently
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief