Home » News » Public Safety
Police probe fire at Rochester community center
"The fire was a set fire," Bellio said. He said someone set fire to a wall-mounted soap dispenser in a second-floor bathroom, causing alarms to sound around 11:30 a.m.
The former high school, located at 150 Wakefield St. on Route 125, houses the city's recreation department and economic development personnel as well as the school superintendent's office, a local food pantry, a driving school and other agencies.
Bellio said he's been unable to determine whether the soap was alcohol-based, which could contribute to the fire.
The wall was concrete block, and Bellio said the dispenser burned and melted on the floor.
Bellio said the smoke damage was contained to the bathroom for the most part, even though thick, black smoke filled the length of the second-floor hallway, which runs through the center of the building.
As the building was quickly evacuated, Bellio said no one was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis voters set to gather for annual Town Meeting Wednesday - 0
- Turnout light in Derry as of early afternoon - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon' - 1
- Sheriff, chief question Shaheen’s recent vote on controversial Obama nominee - 0
- Low turnout seen in early Lakes Region polling - 0
- Goffstown residents slow to vote so far - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Milton residents considering big issues at the polls Tuesday - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus