Home » News » Public Safety
Police probe fire at Rochester community center
"The fire was a set fire," Bellio said. He said someone set fire to a wall-mounted soap dispenser in a second-floor bathroom, causing alarms to sound around 11:30 a.m.
The former high school, located at 150 Wakefield St. on Route 125, houses the city's recreation department and economic development personnel as well as the school superintendent's office, a local food pantry, a driving school and other agencies.
Bellio said he's been unable to determine whether the soap was alcohol-based, which could contribute to the fire.
The wall was concrete block, and Bellio said the dispenser burned and melted on the floor.
Bellio said the smoke damage was contained to the bathroom for the most part, even though thick, black smoke filled the length of the second-floor hallway, which runs through the center of the building.
As the building was quickly evacuated, Bellio said no one was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
- Conn. pair injured in ATV rollover in Henniker - 0
- Boy injured on bicycle, hit by pickup in Keene - 0
- Manchester driver dead in crash on I-293 - 0
- Fire destroys historic downtown Berlin building - 0
- Three-alarm fire destroys garage in Nottingham - 0
- Manchester man killed on I-293 apparently unconscious before crash - 0
- Fire destroys another historic Berlin building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Market Basket workers rally, urged to 'shut it down' until ousted CEO returns - 0
- Man arrested after shots allegedly fired in Mont Vernon - 0
- Rochester gas station robbed; Police: Could be one in string - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene In Manchester: Tracking street crime is her game - 0
- Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal - 7
- On Baseball: NH's Anderson glad to be back - 0
- Republican congressional candidate Lambert says he'd serve only 3 terms - 2
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: The grandson also rises - 1
- Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility - 5
DWI License Revocations
Market Basket shelves growing bare
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility