Home » Opinion » Editorials
Overreaction: Safety over the Constitution?
The would-be king of New York City said after the bombings, "we live in a complex world where you're going to have to have a level of security greater than you did back in the olden days, if you will. And our laws and our interpretation of the Constitution, I think, have to change."
One of the changes he advocated was to expand government surveillance of citizens. Last week, a New York Times/CBS News poll found that 78 percent of respondents wanted more government surveillance of public spaces. Worse, 66 percent said information about making explosives should not be permitted on the Internet. The Founding Fathers would be appalled.
Empowering the government to ban speech and track our every movement will not make us safer. It will do the opposite. Americans unfamiliar with the phrase "secure the blessings of liberty," which would seem to be most Americans, would do well to Google it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 15
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 17
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child