Home » News » Public Safety
Gasoline-soaked man stops traffic in downtown Rochester
Rochester firefighters and police stand by as a Frisbie Memorial Hospital paramedic evaluates a man who soaked himself in gasoline in a major downtown intersection late Monday morning. (Paul Dolnier Photo)
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 11:30 a.m. after the man appeared to have covered himself in gasoline and walked into the intersection of South Main Street and Columbus Avenue, according to Fire Capt. Mark Avery.
Avery said the man did not ignite himself.
"When we got there, police pretty much had him face down," Avery said.?"He was wet, so we assumed it was gasoline," Avery said, adding officials removed the man's shirt as a precaution.
Avery said paramedics took the man, whose identity has not been released, to Frisbie Memorial Hospital for further treatment and evaluation.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 40
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads