Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters investigating suspicious Rochester fire
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around noon after a fire alarm sounded in the Rochester Community Center, a former high school located at 150 Wakefield St.
Avery said heavy, black smoke ran down the ceiling of a 400-foot hallway on the second floor of the building, which houses the city's recreation department and economic development personnel, as well as the superintendent's office, a local food pantry, a driving school and other agencies.
As a result, Avery said firefighters from Rochester and Somersworth divided up to search the various rooms and hallways.
They quickly located the origin of the fire and believe it someone purposely ignited a hand soap container.
"It traveled half-way up the wall and caused more smoke than fire," Avery said.
Avery said firefighters continue to investigate the incident.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 0
- Derry police recover stolen box for worn flags - 0
- Chief to Chef: Charlestown veteran chief leaving for food venture - 0
- Fire Marshal's Office didn't condemn school's historic stage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Slippery slide makes Monday driving tough - 0
- Epping, Merrimack motorists hurt in Route 125 crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 1
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072