All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In



Area firefighters believed the fire that evacuated the Rochester Community Center began in a second-floor bathroom Monday afternoon. (Paul Dolnier Photo)

Firefighters investigating suspicious Rochester fire


ROCHESTER - The Community Center was evacuated after thick, black smoke from a suspicious fire filled the second floor hallway Monday, according to Fire Capt. Mark Avery.

Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around noon after a fire alarm sounded in the Rochester Community Center, a former high school located at 150 Wakefield St.

Avery said heavy, black smoke ran down the ceiling of a 400-foot hallway on the second floor of the building, which houses the city's recreation department and economic development personnel, as well as the superintendent's office, a local food pantry, a driving school and other agencies.

As a result, Avery said firefighters from Rochester and Somersworth divided up to search the various rooms and hallways.

They quickly located the origin of the fire and believe it someone purposely ignited a hand soap container.

"It traveled half-way up the wall and caused more smoke than fire," Avery said.

Avery said firefighters continue to investigate the incident.



jquinn@newstote.com

.

Post or View Comments 


NH Maple Weekend NH Maple Weekend
All Weekend

Sap Gathering Contest Sap Gathering Contest
Saturday, 10 a.m.

45th Annual NH Camping and RV Show 45th Annual NH Camping and RV Show
Friday, 1-8 p.m.,
Saturday, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.,
Sunday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Ales for Tails Ales for Tails
Sunday, 1-5 p.m.