Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters investigating suspicious Rochester fire
Area firefighters believed the fire that evacuated the Rochester Community Center began in a second-floor bathroom Monday afternoon. (Paul Dolnier Photo)
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around noon after a fire alarm sounded in the Rochester Community Center, a former high school located at 150 Wakefield St.
Avery said heavy, black smoke ran down the ceiling of a 400-foot hallway on the second floor of the building, which houses the city's recreation department and economic development personnel, as well as the superintendent's office, a local food pantry, a driving school and other agencies.
As a result, Avery said firefighters from Rochester and Somersworth divided up to search the various rooms and hallways.
They quickly located the origin of the fire and believe it someone purposely ignited a hand soap container.
"It traveled half-way up the wall and caused more smoke than fire," Avery said.
Avery said firefighters continue to investigate the incident.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire