Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters investigating suspicious Rochester fire
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around noon after a fire alarm sounded in the Rochester Community Center, a former high school located at 150 Wakefield St.
Avery said heavy, black smoke ran down the ceiling of a 400-foot hallway on the second floor of the building, which houses the city's recreation department and economic development personnel, as well as the superintendent's office, a local food pantry, a driving school and other agencies.
As a result, Avery said firefighters from Rochester and Somersworth divided up to search the various rooms and hallways.
They quickly located the origin of the fire and believe it someone purposely ignited a hand soap container.
"It traveled half-way up the wall and caused more smoke than fire," Avery said.
Avery said firefighters continue to investigate the incident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
- Manchester man dies after being hit by car - 0
- Family, pet cats and snake escape Nottingham fire - 0
- Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting - 0
- School bus slides off road, slams into trees in Deerfield - 0
- For Nashua student walkers, commute may soon be safer - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Third-party food delivery on the rise - 0
- College Hockey: Northeastern wins in OT, forces Game 3 with UNH - 0
- NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll - 0
- Pembroke voters OK clock tower face-lift - 0
- Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer - 0
- Groveton backs 'Plan B' for town office project - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- Obama's national security aides meet to discuss Ukraine - 0
- Radio host wants official's lawsuit dismissed - 0
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer