Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win
Right fielder Brad Glenn collected five RBIs and shorstop Kevin Nolan drove in four to help the Fisher Cats defeat Reading, 15-5, at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium in Manchester.
The Fisher Cats (14-16) scored three runs in the first, two in the second, four in the third, one in the sixth, three in the seventh and two in the eighth. Nolan, a Nashua native, accounted for the seventh-inning scoring by hitting a three-run home run - the first Double-A home run of his career.
Reading starting pitcher Jesse Biddle was pulled from the mound with two outs in the first inning. Biddle surrendered three runs (all earned), one hit and walked four. The Fisher Cats scored 10 runs against Biddle last Sunday.
Reading (12-15) used five pitchers in the loss.
Center fielder Kevin Pillar had four hits for New Hampshire, which also received a three-hit performance from left fielder Brian Van Kirk. The Fisher Cats had 16 hits in the game.
Austin Bibens-Dirkx (3-3) started and pitched five innings to earn the win. He gave up two runs (one earned) on three hits and struck out five. Bibens-Dirkx lowered his ERA to 2.68.
Matt Wright and Evan Crawford each pitched two innings of relief. Reading scored three of its runs against Crawford in the top of the ninth.
Glenn, first baseman Clint Robinson and third baseman Kevin Ahrens each had two hits for the Fisher Cats.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- AL East looks loaded again in 2014 - 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 2
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 1
Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration projectREADER COMMENTS: 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840