Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win
Right fielder Brad Glenn collected five RBIs and shorstop Kevin Nolan drove in four to help the Fisher Cats defeat Reading, 15-5, at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium in Manchester.
The Fisher Cats (14-16) scored three runs in the first, two in the second, four in the third, one in the sixth, three in the seventh and two in the eighth. Nolan, a Nashua native, accounted for the seventh-inning scoring by hitting a three-run home run - the first Double-A home run of his career.
Reading starting pitcher Jesse Biddle was pulled from the mound with two outs in the first inning. Biddle surrendered three runs (all earned), one hit and walked four. The Fisher Cats scored 10 runs against Biddle last Sunday.
Reading (12-15) used five pitchers in the loss.
Center fielder Kevin Pillar had four hits for New Hampshire, which also received a three-hit performance from left fielder Brian Van Kirk. The Fisher Cats had 16 hits in the game.
Austin Bibens-Dirkx (3-3) started and pitched five innings to earn the win. He gave up two runs (one earned) on three hits and struck out five. Bibens-Dirkx lowered his ERA to 2.68.
Matt Wright and Evan Crawford each pitched two innings of relief. Reading scored three of its runs against Crawford in the top of the ninth.
Glenn, first baseman Clint Robinson and third baseman Kevin Ahrens each had two hits for the Fisher Cats.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840