Home » News » Public Safety
15 towns fight five-alarm brush fire in the Weirs
Laconia Fire Capt. Bob Landry said about seven acres are burning between Weirs Boulevard and White Oaks Road, in a wooded area behind the Racquet Club.
Landry said forest fire crews have been digging a fire line to keep the flames from spreading. That involves creating a four-foot wide path around the burning area and removing all the "duff," the leaves and pine needles that can burn. That creates a fire break, he explained.
Once that is finished, fire crews will use hose lines and hand tools to extinguish the fire, Landry said.
He said fire fighters are stationed along White Oaks Road to protect some homes in that area.
The fire was reported around 1:30 p.m. and was still not under control three hours later.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 1
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 3
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 26
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist