Home » News » Public Safety
15 towns fight five-alarm brush fire in the Weirs
Laconia Fire Capt. Bob Landry said about seven acres are burning between Weirs Boulevard and White Oaks Road, in a wooded area behind the Racquet Club.
Landry said forest fire crews have been digging a fire line to keep the flames from spreading. That involves creating a four-foot wide path around the burning area and removing all the "duff," the leaves and pine needles that can burn. That creates a fire break, he explained.
Once that is finished, fire crews will use hose lines and hand tools to extinguish the fire, Landry said.
He said fire fighters are stationed along White Oaks Road to protect some homes in that area.
The fire was reported around 1:30 p.m. and was still not under control three hours later.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
Police say man attacked woman with sword
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072