NH lawmaker says sorry, then doubles down on doubts about Boston bombingBy Benjamin Klein
Union Leader Correspondent
May 03. 2013 3:34PM
Despite issuing an apology for prior statements, Rep. Stella Tremblay continued to question the Boston Marathon bombing and the injuries of survivor Jeff Bauman in an interview on a WEEI 93.7 FM morning show Friday.
Tremblay, R-Auburn, first made national headlines posting her opinions on commentator Glenn Beck's Facebook page. Since then, Tremblay has drawn sharp rebukes from officials on both sides of the aisle.
In response, the lawmaker issued a statement expressing regret for her remarks. "My sincere apologies if I have offended anyone with my comments regarding the Boston Marathon Bombing," she said.
But during her interview on WEEI Tremblay again seemed to doubt Bauman's injuries even as she expressed a desire to appologize to him for her past remarks.
"I would love to go and visit Jeff and apologize to him, if he was hurt," she said. Bauman, a Massachusetts resident who works at the Costco in Nashua, lost both legs in the blast.
In the aftermath of the attack, the lawmaker had made light of the seriousness of those injuries as evidence the bombing might be a government plot.
"He was not in pain; he was not in shock. If I had had those type of injuries, I'd be screaming in agony," she had said.
During the Friday morning broadcast, Tremblay called for an independent investigation of the bombing and the injuries sustained by victims. The FBI, she said, should not handle the investigation. Rather, Tremblay recommended an Arizona group called the Cold Case Posse should look into the matter. The Posse has made national headlines claiming President Barack Obama's birth certificate is fraudulent.
Tremblay's comments have been a cornucopia of quips and columns from liberal pundits and politicos. Tremblay has been cast as the latest example of a Republican gone wild, making offensive statements unsupported by fact.