Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester building fire causes up to $200k in damage
Corbeil said the fire destroyed a host of electrical wiring, mechanical systems and plumbing in the building, which has apartments on the second floor and an office and Chiggy's Place restaurant, which wasn't open when the fire was reported about 4:15 p.m.
The office and apartments were occupied at the time, but everyone got out safely, Corbeil said.
He said firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the basement.
"If you were to drive by the building right now, you wouldn't know there was a fire there," he said.
But because of the damage to the building's utilities, the building, owned by Karen Kean, is uninhabitable, he said.
"The heat did a lot of damage in the cellar," he said.
A cause has not been determined, but the fire is not believed to be suspicious, he said. No firefighters were injured, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 1
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief