Pittsfield church to celebrate 150 years of ministry
May 01. 2013 6:57PM
PITTSFIELD - The Parish of St. Stephen's is celebrating its sesquincentennial.
The church was organized on March 30, 1863. At a meeting that day, the Board of Wardens and Vestrymen was authorized to purchase and prepare a lot for a chapel.
A piece of land on Main Street was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. James Drake for $500 to be used as a lot for the church
The Second Bishop of New Hampshire, The Right Reverend Carlton Chase, made his first visitation to St. Stephen's on July 19, 1863. Bishop Chase preached twice that morning in the Masonic Hall before the procession moved to the foundation for the new church building, where he presided over the ceremonies and prayers to celebrate the laying of the corner stone.
On May 19 this year, at 9:30 a.m., the 10 Bishop of New Hampshire, the Right Reverend A. Robert Hirschfeld will make his first visitation to the parish of St. Stephen's.
Bishop Hirschfeld will preside at a service to celebrate St. Stephen's 150 years of ministry.
The service will include the Holy Eucharist and Confirmation.