Home » News » Public Safety
Several brush fires around Lebanon termed suspicious
LEBANON - The Lebanon Fire Department said Tuesday that brush fires in the city over the past two days are being investigated as suspicious.
Firefighters first responded to a brush fire Monday shortly before 6 p.m. at the end of Waterman Avenue in West Lebanon, involving one acre of woodlands.Then on Tuesday firefighters went to the rail trail behind Renihan Meadows off Mascoma Street for a report of three separate brush fires at 12:40 p.m. One fire was found behind some Dumpsters, and two additional fires were found a quarter-mile west of the rail trail.
Then at 2:05 p.m. the Lebanon Airport tower reported a large column of smoke in the area of Young and Wheatley streets in Lebanon. A 60- by 60-foot area of woodlands was found burning in the Starrs Hill Preserve at the top of Eldridge Street, which firefighters had under control in an hour.
The fires have been labeled as suspicious, and Lebanon police and the fire department's Fire Prevention Division are investigating.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 448-1212.
Due to dry conditions, the fire department has suspended all open burning until further notice.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stocks up after Fed minutes on 'easy money' exit - 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry - 0
- Abortion clinic buffer put on hold after court ruling - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax