Home » Sports » College Sports
UNH's Evans invited to Eagles camp
UNH spokesman Mike Murphy confirmed Sunday that Evans will attend the camp.
"Matt told me he hasn't signed a contract with the Eagles, but will attend the camp," said Murphy, who didn't know if Eagles head coach and former UNH offensive coordinator Chip Kelly reached out to Evans.
Last month, UNH retired Evans' No. 52 during the team's annual football team banquet. Evans became just the fifth UNH player to have his jersey retired and the first defensive player.
He joined running back Bill Burnham, running back Jerry Azumah, wide receiver David Ball and quarterback Ricky Santos.
Evans, who was named UNH's Most Valuable Player at the banquet, led the Colonial Athletic Assocation with 126 tackles during his senior season. He also led the nation with 87 solo tackles.
A native of Hanover, Mass., Evans was lauded as a College Sporting News 2012 Fabulous Fifty All-America and a Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America for the third time. In January he played in the East-West Shrine Game.
Defensive tackle Jared Smith, selected Saturday by the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL Draft, will move to the offensive line, according to the Seattle Times.
Murphy said Smith never played a down on offense for UNH. "But people have to remember that Azumah was a running back in college who was turned into a defensive back in the NFL," said Murphy.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 12
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'