Home » Sports » College Sports
UNH's Evans invited to Eagles camp
UNH spokesman Mike Murphy confirmed Sunday that Evans will attend the camp.
"Matt told me he hasn't signed a contract with the Eagles, but will attend the camp," said Murphy, who didn't know if Eagles head coach and former UNH offensive coordinator Chip Kelly reached out to Evans.
Last month, UNH retired Evans' No. 52 during the team's annual football team banquet. Evans became just the fifth UNH player to have his jersey retired and the first defensive player.
He joined running back Bill Burnham, running back Jerry Azumah, wide receiver David Ball and quarterback Ricky Santos.
Evans, who was named UNH's Most Valuable Player at the banquet, led the Colonial Athletic Assocation with 126 tackles during his senior season. He also led the nation with 87 solo tackles.
A native of Hanover, Mass., Evans was lauded as a College Sporting News 2012 Fabulous Fifty All-America and a Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America for the third time. In January he played in the East-West Shrine Game.
Defensive tackle Jared Smith, selected Saturday by the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL Draft, will move to the offensive line, according to the Seattle Times.
Murphy said Smith never played a down on offense for UNH. "But people have to remember that Azumah was a running back in college who was turned into a defensive back in the NFL," said Murphy.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fergus Cullen: The Christmas card many of us wish we could send - 0
- Ben Dick: Teachers had good reason to reject Manchester contract offer - 16
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare: Silence of the insurers - 3
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 47
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 2
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Ice storm threatens the region
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass