Home » Sports » College Sports
UNH's Evans invited to Eagles camp
UNH spokesman Mike Murphy confirmed Sunday that Evans will attend the camp.
"Matt told me he hasn't signed a contract with the Eagles, but will attend the camp," said Murphy, who didn't know if Eagles head coach and former UNH offensive coordinator Chip Kelly reached out to Evans.
Last month, UNH retired Evans' No. 52 during the team's annual football team banquet. Evans became just the fifth UNH player to have his jersey retired and the first defensive player.
He joined running back Bill Burnham, running back Jerry Azumah, wide receiver David Ball and quarterback Ricky Santos.
Evans, who was named UNH's Most Valuable Player at the banquet, led the Colonial Athletic Assocation with 126 tackles during his senior season. He also led the nation with 87 solo tackles.
A native of Hanover, Mass., Evans was lauded as a College Sporting News 2012 Fabulous Fifty All-America and a Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America for the third time. In January he played in the East-West Shrine Game.
Defensive tackle Jared Smith, selected Saturday by the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL Draft, will move to the offensive line, according to the Seattle Times.
Murphy said Smith never played a down on offense for UNH. "But people have to remember that Azumah was a running back in college who was turned into a defensive back in the NFL," said Murphy.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 15
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 3
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child