Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5
Paul Pierce scored 29 points and Jeff Green added 26 as the Celtics fought off a stirring comeback to force Game 5 of the best-of-seven Eastern Conference series on Wednesday at New York's Madison Square Garden. Kevin Garnett added 13 points and 17 rebounds for Boston.
Carmelo Anthony scored 36 points and Raymond Felton had 27 for the Knicks, who led only once - at 84-82 with 1:18 to play in regulation - and trailed 59-39 with 9:25 left in the third quarter.
Terry put the Celtics ahead to stay by burying a 3-pointer with 1:31 left in the extra session. After Anthony sliced the deficit to one, Terry hit a short jumper and buried two foul shots for a 95-90 edge with 20.4 seconds left.
Pierce scored scored eight points in a 73-second span late in the second quarter to send the Celtics into the break with a seemingly commanding 53-34 lead. A 3-pointer by Green pushed it to 20 early in the third quarter before Felton scored 16 points in a 26-9 burst to pull New York within 68-65 entering the final 12 minutes.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The Knicks played without Sixth Man of the Year J.R. Smith, who was suspended one game by the NBA for elbowing Terry in the face in the fourth quarter of Game 3. ... Boston prevailed despite getting mauled on the backboards 54-40, including a 34-19 edge in the second half and OT. ... The Knicks limited the Celtics to 14 points in the third quarter, the fifth time in the series they held Boston to 14 points or fewer in a quarter.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: UNH and Dartmouth set to renew football rivalry - 0
- NH College Notebook: Butcher's retirement will mark the end of an era at KCS - 0
- NH College Notebook: Bedford's Turner starts fast for Quinnipiac women skaters - 0
- NH College Notebook: Former NH runners pace No. 6 Georgetown - 0
- NH College Notebook: St. Anselm, SNHU to battle in nationally televised game - 0
- NH College Notebook: Milford's Andrews collects ACC award - 0
- NH College Notebook: UNH swim team raises funds to help boy battle cancer - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 6
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up