Home » Opinion » Editorials
Obamacare says what? Not even Congress knows
Three years after Obamacare became law, Congress cannot agree on what it actually says. Most of the lawmakers arguing about it were in office three years ago. This is a law they were supposed to have read. Yet they cannot decide on the meaning of a single provision governing the law's applicability to Congress. How are employers supposed to understand the entire thing?
As Congress struggles to understand and comply with what it passed, so do employers. The Chronicle of Higher Education reported last week that colleges and universities are reducing the hours worked by adjunct faculty because of Obamacare. Adjuncts typically are not paid by the hour, but by the course. Obamacare mandates health insurance coverage for full-time employees of all "large" employers. Adjuncts now have to track their hours, like lawyers do, and their employers are pushing them to cut back to ensure that they are counted as part-time.
These kinds of bureaucratic headaches are being replicated all over America, from mom-and-pop businesses to Congress. And more of them are coming. It is one heck of a way to find out what is in the law.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Surprise, surprise: Obamacare funds abortions - 57
- Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over - 8
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 12
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 28
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 6
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 16
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'