Home » Opinion » Editorials
Dingbats, bipartisan: In a big house, there are a few
With that large a number, however, it can also lead to the occasional dingbat being elected and let loose to fly around the ornate Representatives Hall. Unless someone secures a broom, and finds a way to open a window to shoo them out, such dingbats' flights of fancy can be very distracting.
Such a flight occurred this month. The individual in question took to the social media world to announce that the Boston Marathon bombing was an inside job, performed by government "black ops" agents.
Someone with such an opinion is unlikely to do the sensible thing and step aside, although that would be appropriate. Otherwise, the voters in the representative's particular community will just have to remember, next election, to do the right thing. We have already marked it in our calendar to remind them.
In the meantime, though, could the major political parties please stipulate that such oddities can and do occur on both sides of the aisle? The immediate high-dudgeon demands for everyone in the particular party, up to and including U.S. senators and Presidents, to denounce the offending dingbat and call for its removal and public drubbing are wearing a bit thin.
If the offender is a party or legislative bigwig, of course, the reaction may need to be different.
But dingbats can, and do, crop up occasionally in the rank-and-file on either side of the aisle. It seems to us to be in both parties' interest to minimize the attention paid. Otherwise, the public's perception of both is going to erode.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 4
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
- City health costs: Wellness coordinator is no fix - 1
- R.I.P., Tom Brennan: A good manager and better man - 2
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy