Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Capitals top Bruins in OT
Defenseman Mike Green scored a pair of power-play goals just 1:55 apart in the third period and Braden Holtby finished with 32 saves for the Southeast Division champion Capitals, who improved to 11-1-1 in their last 13 games. Third-seeded Washington will face the New York Rangers in the first round of the playoffs.
Milan Lucic collected a goal and an assist and defenseman Andrew Ference also tallied. Tuukka Rask turned aside 34 shots for the Bruins, who squandered a third-period lead for the seventh time this season. Boston fell one point behind Original Six rival Montreal, which holds the tiebreakers on the Bruins. Boston will host Ottawa on Sunday in its season finale needing a victory to win the Northeast title.
With Boston captain Zdeno Chara serving a hooking penalty, Washington took advantage of a 4-on-3 power play in overtime. Green ripped a blast off Rask's shoulder, but Fehr tucked home the rebound to complete the Capitals' comeback.
Green trimmed Washington's two-goal deficit 5:26 into the third period after his shot from the right circle beat a screened Rask. The defenseman solved Rask again just 1:55 later with a blast from the point.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Lucic opened the scoring 9:59 into the first period after his wrist shot caromed off the right skate of Capitals D Karl Alzner. The burly Lucic recorded his fourth multi-point game at 12:11 of the second by setting up Ference, who wired a shot past Holtby from the right circle. ... Washington, which went 3-for-5 on the power play, is 14-for-41 during April. ... Former Capital Jaromir Jagr sat out with flu-like symptoms and RW Nathan Horton missed the contest with an upper-body injury.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Football social planned for Turkey Bowl eve - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Hot stove plus hockey equals cool doubleheader - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Much-loved Lemire was dedicated to city's kids - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: High school hoops preseason jamboree finally a reality - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Monarchs' Morris salutes fans - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Stunning ending authored by Brady. - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: A couple of Pioneers are on the move - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Memorial principal explains football time changes - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Joe Sullivan stories recall a great storyteller - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 5
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child