Jury finds man not guilty using stand your ground law
Craig Moses, 23, was charged in connection with an incident outside an Amherst Street nightclub in May 2012.
Moses' attorney argued Moses was innocent under the provisions of the stand your ground self-defense law passed in 2011. Earlier this month, legislators in Concord voted to overturn the law.
Moses said he and his cousin were assaulted after leaving The Junk Yard nightclub on May 5, 2012.
Although police said at the time of Moses' arrest that he had sustained minor facial injuries and that no one sustained serious injuries in the incident, Moses painted a different picture for jurors.
Moses said he was sucker-punched in the chest, sustaining two broken ribs, was punched in the nose and dazed from a head injury.
He said his cousin was punched and kicked in the head, rendering him unconscious and in a pool of blood.
Moses said a third person in the party drove up and Moses was able to get his .380 handgun, for which he has a license.
In an effort to create space around his cousin, he displayed the gun and shouted: "Back the ... up!"
One of the men Moses warned away turned out to be a club bouncer, Steve Cormier.
Moses was arrested and charged with criminal threatening with a deadly weapon and was later indicted by a Hillsborough County South grand jury.
A conviction under the felony threatening charge carries a sentence of three-and-a-half to seven years in the New Hampshire State Prison.