Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Ortiz goes yard for first time as Sox trounce Astros
Buchholz (5-0) allowed two runs and six hits, and retired 11 straight batters before Jose Altuve ended his night with a two-out single in the eighth. Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Ortiz had two RBIs apiece - one each in a four-run first inning - for first-place Boston, which is 11-0 when scoring first.
Philip Humber (0-5) allowed seven runs and 10 hits in 4 2/3 innings as the Astros began a seven-game road trip, which will also take them to Yankee Stadium, with their sixth straight loss away from home. Fernando Martinez had a career-high three hits for Houston.
Dustin Pedroia delivered an RBI single with one out in the first, stole second uncontested and scored on Ortiz's blistering line-drive to right field. With two outs, Mike Carp's broken-bat hit eluded first baseman Carlos Pena and went for an RBI double and Saltalamacchia followed with a line shot up the middle to plate Carp and make it 4-0.
Ortiz gave the Red Sox a 5-2 lead when he led off the third inning with a blast into the center field bleachers. Boston added two runs in the fifth as Saltalamacchia delivered a two-out single and Will Middlebrooks followed with a run-scoring double.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Ortiz, who missed the first 15 games of the season because of heel injuries and was rested in two others, is 11-for-20 with five RBIs in five contests. ... Boston RHP Daniel Bard, who was recalled from Double-A Portland on Wednesday, pitched a scoreless ninth inning in his season debut and 200th career relief appearance. ... Humber is 4-10 with a 7.54 ERA in 29 games since throwing a perfect game at Seattle on April 21, 2012. He has allowed 15 runs in his last two starts covering five innings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false