Home » News » Public Safety
Eight displaced in two-alarm blaze in Manchester
District Chief Al Poulin said smoke detectors woke tenants to the danger at 3:17 a.m.
He said Sandra Davis, who lived in a second-floor apartment of the 610 Second St. building, looked out a window to see flames reflected in the window of an apartment building across the yard.
She saw her porch was on fire and then looked up to discover the third-floor porch completely in flames, Poulin said. Davis woke her family and roommates, and alerted tenants on the third floor to the fire, he said.
The four-man crew, increased recently from three, made all the difference in the initial attack, Poulin said. They were able to keep flames from extending into the other units, although the entire building was damaged by heavy smoke and water.
Poulin estimated damage at $125,000.
Despite firefighters' efforts, the fire went to two alarms, bringing about 40 of the 46 firefighters on duty to the scene. Crews cut into the roofs to vent the flames.
Poulin said the building had three separate roof lines because of additions over the years, allowing flames to get into the walls. As a result, he said, firefighters had to cut through walls and ceilings to make sure the fire was completely out.
The fire started on the third-story porch, sent flames into the roof and down to the second-story porch once it burned through the floor, he said.
The building has four apartments. The first floor was vacant; the second floor housed Raymond and his son, Davis, her boyfriend and her daughter; and the third floor had two apartments, one with two residents and the other, a single occupant.
Mutual aid was called from Londonderry, Litchfield, Auburn, Concord, Bedford and Goffstown to provide station coverage.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
A new era for Nashua's police force
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'