Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire in Rochester under investigation
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 3:08 p.m. after employees at Lydall Filtration/Separation Inc. reported the fire in the woods behind the Chestnut Hill Road plant.
After the first firefighters arrived at the scene, Fire Chief Norm Sanborn said a second alarm was sounded within four to five minutes.
"When it initially started, with the wind, we were afraid it would jump the highway," Sanborn said.
Fire Capt. Mark Avery said firefighters cut down a few large, dead trees that caught fire near the home and took measures to keep the fire contained as it headed toward Route 16.
Avery said the nearby wetlands slowed the fire down, but it still burned about an acre and a half.
Firefighters used foam to extinguish the fire on leaves, sticks, trees and on the remnants of the small home which was near other buildings behind the plant.
Crews were assisted by firefighters from Barrington, Dover, Durham, Farmington and Somersworth and forest rangers from the state's Forest Protection Bureau.
There were no injuries.
Sanborn said a cause of the fire had not been determined as of Thursday afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 1
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Market Basket community waits and watches
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'