Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire in Rochester under investigation
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 3:08 p.m. after employees at Lydall Filtration/Separation Inc. reported the fire in the woods behind the Chestnut Hill Road plant.
After the first firefighters arrived at the scene, Fire Chief Norm Sanborn said a second alarm was sounded within four to five minutes.
"When it initially started, with the wind, we were afraid it would jump the highway," Sanborn said.
Fire Capt. Mark Avery said firefighters cut down a few large, dead trees that caught fire near the home and took measures to keep the fire contained as it headed toward Route 16.
Avery said the nearby wetlands slowed the fire down, but it still burned about an acre and a half.
Firefighters used foam to extinguish the fire on leaves, sticks, trees and on the remnants of the small home which was near other buildings behind the plant.
Crews were assisted by firefighters from Barrington, Dover, Durham, Farmington and Somersworth and forest rangers from the state's Forest Protection Bureau.
There were no injuries.
Sanborn said a cause of the fire had not been determined as of Thursday afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another walk-off win for Red Sox - 0
- Thibodeau claims fourth NHWGA Junior title - 0
- Stocks end lower on Portugal bank woes - 0
- Salem child porn arrest after tip leading to cloud storage of images - 0
- Manchester woman suffers injuries in dragging incident - 0
- Judge orders fired Manchester officer back to jail to finish sentence - 5
- Claremont police dispatcher charged with sex assault and incest, placed on leave - 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release