Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire in Rochester under investigation
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 3:08 p.m. after employees at Lydall Filtration/Separation Inc. reported the fire in the woods behind the Chestnut Hill Road plant.
After the first firefighters arrived at the scene, Fire Chief Norm Sanborn said a second alarm was sounded within four to five minutes.
"When it initially started, with the wind, we were afraid it would jump the highway," Sanborn said.
Fire Capt. Mark Avery said firefighters cut down a few large, dead trees that caught fire near the home and took measures to keep the fire contained as it headed toward Route 16.
Avery said the nearby wetlands slowed the fire down, but it still burned about an acre and a half.
Firefighters used foam to extinguish the fire on leaves, sticks, trees and on the remnants of the small home which was near other buildings behind the plant.
Crews were assisted by firefighters from Barrington, Dover, Durham, Farmington and Somersworth and forest rangers from the state's Forest Protection Bureau.
There were no injuries.
Sanborn said a cause of the fire had not been determined as of Thursday afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate