Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
AG says January Mont Vernon police shooting justified
A report released Thursday indicated that Bidwell, after a jolt from a Taser failed to immobilize him, picked up a piece of firewood and advanced toward Daigneault, prompting the officer to shoot him. The report provides the first glimpse of details - including naming Daigneault as the shooter - into an incident about which authorities have been tight-lipped for months.
Bidwell, who was 42 at the time, was not killed, Police Chief Kyle Aspinwall said Thursday night. He was taken to a hospital in Massachusetts, where he was treated for his injuries.
"The investigation has revealed that Geoffrey Bidwell's actions and course of conduct on Jan. 6, 2013, created a situation where Sergeant Aaron Daigneault reasonably believed that he was in danger of death or serious bodily injury when Geoffrey Bidwell took a large firewood log and advanced toward Sergeant Daigneault in a threatening manner," the report said.
The report said Bidwell was intoxicated and suicidal when Daigneault responded to the 15 Pond Road home of Bidwell's father, Augustus "Gus" Bidwell. The elder Bidwell reported that his son had a knife when he called 911, the report said.
The report said Bidwell put down the knife, but kept screaming that he wanted Daigneault to kill him.
"Gus heard Sergeant Daigneault tell Geoffrey that he did not want to have to shoot or hurt him, but Geoffrey kept telling Sergeant Daigneault that he wanted the sergeant to shoot him," the report said.
Daigneault "backpedaled" into an office area of the home from the kitchen and fired his stun gun at Bidwell, but the weapon did not connect and had no effect, the report said. Bidwell then picked up a piece of firewood that "weighed approximately six or seven pounds," the report said.
"At that point, based on all of his interactions with Geoffrey and his observations of his behavior, Sergeant Daigneault concluded that Geoffrey was going to use the piece of wood as a weapon and assault him. It was only after that action by Geoffrey Bidwell, that Sergeant Daigneault used deadly force and fired his gun at Bidwell," the report said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police searching for bank robber - 0
- Victim: Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' - 14
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 7
- NH had 17 homicides in 2014, down from last year - 0
- Two people hospitalized following report of stabbing, police say - 0
- Merrimack teen charged in threats, assaults on girl - 1
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 1
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 3
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 2
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Jolyon Johnson: Mount Sunapee's expansion is not in NH's best interests - 1
- A good story soothes any savage beast ... at least until Poppop leaves for work - 0
- Pressuring FairPoint: Dems take a safe stand - 3
- Parker scholar cites Inter-Lakes academic advances - 0
- Secret speakeasy returns city to Roaring 20s - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats go through the motions - 0
- In Plaistow, business owner is seeing stars - 0
- New owners of North Woodstock dinner train plan to expand to year-round - 0
- Motivation Matters: Keep New Year's resolutions by choosing the right motivation - 0
DWI License Revocations
Details of Reams inquiry released
Instead of a ticket, he got $100 from police
A working port: For a working state
Details of Reams inquiry released
Pressuring FairPoint: Dems take a safe stand
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483