Former CIA director David Petraeus to teach at CUNY
His new appointment will begin in August at CUNY's Macaulay Honors College.
Before joining the CIA, Petraeus was a four-star general who commanded U.S. forces during troop surges in Iraq and Afghanistan, and he is credited with helping to pull Iraq from the brink of all-out civil war.
His affair with biographer Paula Broadwell forced his resignation as CIA director in November - a stunning downfall for a man who had been considered a potential contender for the White House.
"CUNY is profoundly honored to welcome Dr. Petraeus to our academic community," Dr. Matthew Goldstein, chancellor of CUNY, said in a statement.
Goldstein said that with Petraeus joining the school, students will have an opportunity to learn from a "distinguished leader" with experience in international security, intelligence and nation-building.
Petraeus, who earned a doctorate from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, said in a statement that as the son of an immigrant, he identifies with CUNY's large share of students with similar backgrounds.
In his latest research projects, Petraeus has examined such sectors as energy, manufacturing, information technology and life sciences, the university said.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 16
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 18
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
- Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin? - 2
- Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness - 0
- George Will: The face of IRS behavior - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis voters set to gather for annual Town Meeting Wednesday - 0
- Turnout light in Derry as of early afternoon - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon' - 1
- Sheriff, chief question Shaheen’s recent vote on controversial Obama nominee - 0
- Low turnout seen in early Lakes Region polling - 0
- Goffstown residents slow to vote so far - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Milton residents considering big issues at the polls Tuesday - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus