Former CIA director David Petraeus to teach at CUNY
His new appointment will begin in August at CUNY's Macaulay Honors College.
Before joining the CIA, Petraeus was a four-star general who commanded U.S. forces during troop surges in Iraq and Afghanistan, and he is credited with helping to pull Iraq from the brink of all-out civil war.
His affair with biographer Paula Broadwell forced his resignation as CIA director in November - a stunning downfall for a man who had been considered a potential contender for the White House.
"CUNY is profoundly honored to welcome Dr. Petraeus to our academic community," Dr. Matthew Goldstein, chancellor of CUNY, said in a statement.
Goldstein said that with Petraeus joining the school, students will have an opportunity to learn from a "distinguished leader" with experience in international security, intelligence and nation-building.
Petraeus, who earned a doctorate from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, said in a statement that as the son of an immigrant, he identifies with CUNY's large share of students with similar backgrounds.
In his latest research projects, Petraeus has examined such sectors as energy, manufacturing, information technology and life sciences, the university said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 15
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 2
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383