Home » Opinion » Editorials
Trying Dzhokhar: Two (apparently) good calls
With no established ties to a terrorist organization currently at war with the United States, Tsarnaev would not meet the current legal definition of an enemy combatant. Being a Muslim who detonated bombs in a U.S. city is not enough.
It is conceivable that the investigation of Tsarnaev would reveal connections that would make him eligible for enemy combatant status. Apparently the President believes that such connections are highly improbable. Either that or Obama wants to get Tsarnaev into civilian court before such connections can be established because the President has a strong distaste for using military courts even when their use is appropriate.
The President absolutely made the right call, though, in using the public safety exception to delay Mirandizing the suspect. This case clearly falls under that exception.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 12
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 30
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 6
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
- NH's 9/11 victims: We cannot forget - 0
- Celebrating Stark: And America, in Manchester - 0
- NH's Obamabots: Taking their cues from party bosses - 57
- Spending & voting: MayDay's wasted money - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene man arrested in assault on 2-year-old - 0
- House upholds three Gov. Hassan vetoes, ends 2014 session - 0
- Police say woman, daughters robbed of their purses in Manchester motel parking lot - 0
- UNH math professor wins 2014 MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 6
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 4
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof