Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gifts in Derry: Pay for them yourselves
For weeks the council has been embroiled in a little controversy over the gifts. Outgoing Councilor Brian Chirichiello did not want a chair. He asked instead for the town-owned iPad he had been issued. He got it. Some on the council want to ask him to give it back. A lot of bickering has taken place. Most of it seems to miss three critical points.
One: Why in the world is the town paying for gifts for councilors? One council member, Mark Osborne, had the sense to see that this was an unnecessary burden on the town budget. He recommended ending the practice and instead taking up a collection from council members for any departing gifts. "The responsibility falls on us and not on the public budget," he said. Kudos to him.
Two: Why in the world do council members have taxpayer-funded computers? What an extravagance.
Sure, relying on electronic communications saves paper and printing costs, which can get expensive. But who doesn't own a computer of some sort these days?
Three: Are Derry taxpayers keeping an eye on their council? These are not the sort of expenses we expect most taxpayers to find acceptable.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Clifford D. May: Pinpointing the cause and effect in Gaza - 0
- You Turn, NH -- Suellen Griffin: There is first aid for mental health, too, and it works - 1
- Pat Buchanan: We are transforming into the Brazil of North America - 2
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Before your dog takes a dip in fresh water, learn about toxic algae risks - 0
- Another View -- Yehuda Yaakov: What Israel is up against - 7
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Scaremongering is the left's hobby - 2
- Another View -- Steve Stanek: Impact fees for new homes actually raise property taxes - 6
- John Stossel: Who will build the roads? - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attacking Israel with the big lie -- genocide - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's