Home » News » Public Safety
Fundraiser provides vests for Lebanon police dogs
"Certainly it's a financial assistance to us. These vests can be very expensive, but they are very important for our K-9 division," said Lebanon Police Capt. Tim Cohen. "Our K-9s respond to very dangerous missions throughout the year."
The dogs are involved in various police activities, from dangerous manhunts to the execution of search warrants.
"They're officers. They are part of our team. They are our friends," Cohen said. "They are not only an important part of the police department, but certainly they are part of the officers' families. They literally go home with the officer, they live with the officer's family. Help with anything we can do to keep them safer is a good thing."
A nationwide Groupon event for Vested Interest in K-9s Inc., of East Taunton, Mass., raised over $155,000 in eight days last month.
Lebanon Senior Officer Jeremy Perkins' K-9 partner Max, a Belgian Malinois, and Senor Officer Jonathan Tracy's K-9 Partner Cody, a German shepherd, are both set to receive vests, which cost about $950 each.
Vested Interest in K-9s currently has a list of over 20 police dogs needing vests.
For more information about the group or to volunteer or donate, call (508) 824-6978 or go to www.vik9s.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Memorial heroic in NHIAA Div. I basketball semifinal defeat - 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'