Home » News » Public Safety
Fundraiser provides vests for Lebanon police dogs
"Certainly it's a financial assistance to us. These vests can be very expensive, but they are very important for our K-9 division," said Lebanon Police Capt. Tim Cohen. "Our K-9s respond to very dangerous missions throughout the year."
The dogs are involved in various police activities, from dangerous manhunts to the execution of search warrants.
"They're officers. They are part of our team. They are our friends," Cohen said. "They are not only an important part of the police department, but certainly they are part of the officers' families. They literally go home with the officer, they live with the officer's family. Help with anything we can do to keep them safer is a good thing."
A nationwide Groupon event for Vested Interest in K-9s Inc., of East Taunton, Mass., raised over $155,000 in eight days last month.
Lebanon Senior Officer Jeremy Perkins' K-9 partner Max, a Belgian Malinois, and Senor Officer Jonathan Tracy's K-9 Partner Cody, a German shepherd, are both set to receive vests, which cost about $950 each.
Vested Interest in K-9s currently has a list of over 20 police dogs needing vests.
For more information about the group or to volunteer or donate, call (508) 824-6978 or go to www.vik9s.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth