Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Suicide attempt by former Raymond man delays trial for '02 rape
Patrick Eschenbrenner, 51, formerly of Raymond faces six counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault. (COURTESY)
A judge has set a June 17 trial date for Patrick Eschenbrenner, who faces six counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault for allegedly abusing the girl between in 2002 and 2007.
Judge N. William Delker said in a court order that Eschenbrenner’s trial on April 8 had to be delayed because he was being treated in an infirmary for injuries related to the suicide attempt.
The court order does not say when the suicide attempt occurred. Delker said he was informed about the matter on the day the trial was set to begin.
If convicted in the latest case, Eschenbrenner, 51, could have decades added to his current prison term.
He faces up to 10 to 20 years in state prison on each of the latest sex assault charges.
Eschenbrenner was briefly freed from prison two years ago after being convicted by a jury in a 1998 rape case.
Superior Court Chief Justice Tina Nadeau decided that Eschenbrenner did not receive effective assistance from his lawyer during his 2008 trial, and that the jury should not have been allowed to hear opinions of police officers during their testimony.
Nadeau concluded that the officers improperly conveyed to the jury that they believed the victim’s allegations of sexual abuse.
The state Supreme Court disagreed with Nadeau in February, concluding that Eschenbrenner did not deserve a new trial.
Eschenbrenner had been in state prison for roughly three years when he was freed on bail in 2011 in the wake of Nadeau’s decision. A Rockingham County jury convicted him after a trial in May 2008.
A second victim stepped forward after Eschenbrenner was released on bail. An investigation into that case resulted in Eschenbrenner being arrested again in December 2011 while he was living in Glenburne, Maine.
Eschenbrenner also was indicted on a single count of witness tampering.
Prosecutors allege that Eschenbrenner wrote to the victim following his arrest in December 2011, asking her to not appear in court to testify.
After Nadeau’s decision, Assistant County Attorney Jerome Blanchard convinced the state Attorney General’s Office to appeal her ruling.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former Manchester teacher jailed for assaulting student, 6, with soap, pepper - 2
- Derry woman faces charges after nearly hitting Salem police officers - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: City man accused of menacing woman, assaulting teen - 0
- Dover man sought in Rochester shooting - 2
- Convicted sex offender faces porn charges - 1
- Lawyer takes stand in his own defense at sex assault trial - 0
- Supporters are now 'Abby Strong' - 2
- Judge orders Rolfe to spend 5 years in state hospital - 0
- Trial involving former Derry town administrator delayed - 0
- Some sex assault charges dismissed against former Nashua coach - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, Sudanese family arriving in Manchester tonight - 1
- Pembroke couple recovering from injuries in Dixville ATV crash - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 5
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 2
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of itREADER COMMENTS: 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Punch line: The NFL blows it
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917