Home » News » Public Safety
Laconia accident claims life of 14-year-old girl
Lilyanna Johnson of Laconia died of her injuries after being flown to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center in Lebanon, police said late Friday. The other girl, Alyssa Miner, also 14, of Laconia, was in serious condition at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Friday night, police said.
Canfield said a car had stopped at a crosswalk to allow the girls to cross the street as they were walking home from school about 2:30 p.m. Friday.
He said another car, driven by Amy Lafond, 51, of 10 River St., "suddenly veered" from behind the stopped car and hit one of the girls, then hit a guardrail, ricocheted and hit the second girl. The second girl — police did not specify in releases which girl was hit first — was flung into the air, landed on the car’s hood and windshield and was thrown to the pavement. The car hit the guardrail on the other side of the street before coming to a rest, Canfield said.
Police hadn't yet charged Lafond in connection to the accident, a police sergeant said Saturday.
The girls were flown to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center in Lebanon. Johnson died from her injuries about 8:30 p.m. Friday, while Miner was in serious condition Friday night, Canfield said. Hospital officials could not be reached Saturday for an update on Miner’s condition.
Lafond was taken to Lakes Region General Hospital for treatment, police said.
A police press release said grief counselors were at Laconia Middle School from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday "for all of those affected by this tragedy."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
- Annual banquet on April 23 honors police, fire and EMS - 0
- I-93 crash under investigation - 0
- Body of missing NH man found in Vermont - 0
- Police seeking heroin epidemic answers - 0
- Teen ejected in Candia rollover - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales - 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
- Ice-out on WInnipesaukee expected by late next week - 0
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales