Home » News » Public Safety
Laconia accident claims life of 14-year-old girl
Lilyanna Johnson of Laconia died of her injuries after being flown to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center in Lebanon, police said late Friday. The other girl, Alyssa Miner, also 14, of Laconia, was in serious condition at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Friday night, police said.
Canfield said a car had stopped at a crosswalk to allow the girls to cross the street as they were walking home from school about 2:30 p.m. Friday.
He said another car, driven by Amy Lafond, 51, of 10 River St., "suddenly veered" from behind the stopped car and hit one of the girls, then hit a guardrail, ricocheted and hit the second girl. The second girl — police did not specify in releases which girl was hit first — was flung into the air, landed on the car’s hood and windshield and was thrown to the pavement. The car hit the guardrail on the other side of the street before coming to a rest, Canfield said.
Police hadn't yet charged Lafond in connection to the accident, a police sergeant said Saturday.
The girls were flown to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center in Lebanon. Johnson died from her injuries about 8:30 p.m. Friday, while Miner was in serious condition Friday night, Canfield said. Hospital officials could not be reached Saturday for an update on Miner’s condition.
Lafond was taken to Lakes Region General Hospital for treatment, police said.
A police press release said grief counselors were at Laconia Middle School from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday "for all of those affected by this tragedy."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Claremont man accused of sexual assault and incest - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 6
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform