Home » News » Public Safety
Laconia accident claims life of 14-year-old girl
Lilyanna Johnson of Laconia died of her injuries after being flown to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center in Lebanon, police said late Friday. The other girl, Alyssa Miner, also 14, of Laconia, was in serious condition at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Friday night, police said.
Canfield said a car had stopped at a crosswalk to allow the girls to cross the street as they were walking home from school about 2:30 p.m. Friday.
He said another car, driven by Amy Lafond, 51, of 10 River St., "suddenly veered" from behind the stopped car and hit one of the girls, then hit a guardrail, ricocheted and hit the second girl. The second girl — police did not specify in releases which girl was hit first — was flung into the air, landed on the car’s hood and windshield and was thrown to the pavement. The car hit the guardrail on the other side of the street before coming to a rest, Canfield said.
Police hadn't yet charged Lafond in connection to the accident, a police sergeant said Saturday.
The girls were flown to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center in Lebanon. Johnson died from her injuries about 8:30 p.m. Friday, while Miner was in serious condition Friday night, Canfield said. Hospital officials could not be reached Saturday for an update on Miner’s condition.
Lafond was taken to Lakes Region General Hospital for treatment, police said.
A police press release said grief counselors were at Laconia Middle School from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday "for all of those affected by this tragedy."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 1
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 1
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Area firefighters save Nottingham home after chimney fire spreads - 0
- Manchester police search for bank robber - 0
- Police investigating possible stabbing of man, 22, on Lake Avenue - 0
- As city health costs soar, ‘wellness’ post pushed in Manchester - 10
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents