Monarchs vault into playoff position
Manchester (36-31-3-4) is in third place in the Atlantic Division with 79 points. That puts the Monarchs in a four-way tie with Hershey, Norfolk and Connecticut for the final two Eastern Conference playoff spots.
Also Friday, Albany defeated Connecticut, 3-2, Hershey beat Adirondack, 2-1, and Norfolk was hammered, 6-1, by Syracuse.
The Monarchs have two games left: tonight at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Sunday at Hershey. Hershey is at Binghamton tonight. Connecticut wraps up its regular season tonight at Portland, and Norfolk finishes its regular season with a game at Albany tonight and at Providence on Sunday.
"We kept plugging away and withstood big pressure from a real solid team, " said Monarchs head coach Mark Morris. "Martin Jones (37 saves) came up big when we needed him. The penalty kill was very good and the (Tanner) Pearson, (Linden) Vey and (Tyler) Toffoli line provided the scoring."
Monarchs center Linden Vey scored the game-winner just 26 seconds into the third period. Vey intercepted a pass near the left wing half wall, circled around the top of the zone before fired a shot from the right-wing face-off circle that beat Senators netminder Marc Cheverie for his 22nd goal of the season.
Binghamton opened the scoring at 4:06 of the first period with a goal by center Pat Cannone. Tanner Pearson tied the game at 1-1 for the Monarchs at 7:44 of the first period.
Jones (26-25-4) earned his 26th victory of the season, making 37 saves on 38 shots.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Notebook: NH athletes receive fall accolades - 0
- MMA 'Throwdown at The Rock' to feature Nate LaMottee - 0
- Soccer kings' dominance unparalleled - 0
- (No heading) - 0
- UPDATED: Hopkinton High lacrosse coach Doug Maynard dies - 0
- Windham field hockey prevails in overtime - 0
- Allen Lessels UNH Notebook: And now, no room for error - 0
- High School Roundup - 0
- Ian Clark's Corner Kicks: Hanover boys are on a roll - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 6
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'