Monarchs vault into playoff position
Manchester (36-31-3-4) is in third place in the Atlantic Division with 79 points. That puts the Monarchs in a four-way tie with Hershey, Norfolk and Connecticut for the final two Eastern Conference playoff spots.
Also Friday, Albany defeated Connecticut, 3-2, Hershey beat Adirondack, 2-1, and Norfolk was hammered, 6-1, by Syracuse.
The Monarchs have two games left: tonight at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Sunday at Hershey. Hershey is at Binghamton tonight. Connecticut wraps up its regular season tonight at Portland, and Norfolk finishes its regular season with a game at Albany tonight and at Providence on Sunday.
"We kept plugging away and withstood big pressure from a real solid team, " said Monarchs head coach Mark Morris. "Martin Jones (37 saves) came up big when we needed him. The penalty kill was very good and the (Tanner) Pearson, (Linden) Vey and (Tyler) Toffoli line provided the scoring."
Monarchs center Linden Vey scored the game-winner just 26 seconds into the third period. Vey intercepted a pass near the left wing half wall, circled around the top of the zone before fired a shot from the right-wing face-off circle that beat Senators netminder Marc Cheverie for his 22nd goal of the season.
Binghamton opened the scoring at 4:06 of the first period with a goal by center Pat Cannone. Tanner Pearson tied the game at 1-1 for the Monarchs at 7:44 of the first period.
Jones (26-25-4) earned his 26th victory of the season, making 37 saves on 38 shots.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 8
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 1
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 0
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 0
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 0
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
- PSNH on defense over scrubber cost 'escalation' - 0
- Feds and state probe suspended county attorney's handling of funds - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed