Home » Opinion » Editorials
The Internet sales tax: Where is Jeanne Shaheen?
Shaheen voted against the bill in a non-binding test vote in the Senate weeks ago, as did Sen. Kelly Ayotte. Before and since that vote, Ayotte has been vocal in her opposition. She has rallied New Hampshire businesses to oppose it, has spoken forcefully against it in Washington, and has tried to win other senators' votes. But Ayotte is in the minority party in the Senate, which is run with a strong hand by Democrat Reid. Shaheen, a well-connected Democrat and New Hampshire's senior senator, would have more pull than Ayotte on this issue. Yet she has left the fighting to Ayotte.
The bill would let states with sales taxes reach across state lines and collect sales taxes on items their residents purchase online in other states. Sen. Max Baucus, D-Montana has publicly clashed with Reid over this bill several times. Like New Hampshire, Montana has no sales tax. Baucus has publicly battled his party on this issue of vital importance to his state. Why hasn't Shaheen?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0