Home » News » Public Safety
Belmont apartment fire ruled accidental by officials
Fire Department Lt. Greg Bavis said Ryan LeMay, 38, was the lone person in the three-story apartment building at 149 Young Road when the fire broke out at 6:30 p.m.
LeMay, who could not be reached for comment, jumped from a second-story rear deck of the building as the fire spread, having been reportedly trapped in a room. He fell 24 feet and landed in a dump truck, Bavis said.
The cause of the fire has been determined as careless disposal of smoking materials, but LeMay is not suspected of having any connection to the smoldering materials, he said.
"The fire was accidental in nature," Bavis said.
The fire started in a second-floor egress in the wall of the building, he said.
When firefighters arrived, a first alarm was called for as fire was showing from the roof, the right side and rear of the large, four-unit apartment building with garages underneath.
A second alarm was requested and then a third alarm was called at 7:08 p.m. for additional manpower and water supply help.
Firefighters knocked down the fire on the exterior of the building and in the attic and roof areas with outside streams, and then advanced hand lines into the second and third floors to extinguish the remaining fire in the walls, floors, and attic.
The house was badly damaged, but firefighters managed to save much of it, Gilford Police Chief Stephen Carrier said.
The fire was originally reported to be in the town of Gilford.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire - 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Salem man faces DWI charge after Manchester crash - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare