Home » News » Public Safety
Belmont apartment fire ruled accidental by officials
Fire Department Lt. Greg Bavis said Ryan LeMay, 38, was the lone person in the three-story apartment building at 149 Young Road when the fire broke out at 6:30 p.m.
LeMay, who could not be reached for comment, jumped from a second-story rear deck of the building as the fire spread, having been reportedly trapped in a room. He fell 24 feet and landed in a dump truck, Bavis said.
The cause of the fire has been determined as careless disposal of smoking materials, but LeMay is not suspected of having any connection to the smoldering materials, he said.
"The fire was accidental in nature," Bavis said.
The fire started in a second-floor egress in the wall of the building, he said.
When firefighters arrived, a first alarm was called for as fire was showing from the roof, the right side and rear of the large, four-unit apartment building with garages underneath.
A second alarm was requested and then a third alarm was called at 7:08 p.m. for additional manpower and water supply help.
Firefighters knocked down the fire on the exterior of the building and in the attic and roof areas with outside streams, and then advanced hand lines into the second and third floors to extinguish the remaining fire in the walls, floors, and attic.
The house was badly damaged, but firefighters managed to save much of it, Gilford Police Chief Stephen Carrier said.
The fire was originally reported to be in the town of Gilford.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire